Sunday, May 25, 2014

Elliptical Sentences

Nama : Ulfah Indriyani
NPM  : 18210318
Kelas  : 4EA18




Ellipsis means leaving something out. Elliptical sentence is a shorter form of sentence which some words have been omitted, but it retains the same meaning. It is used so that we can avoid unnecessary repeated words.
It is noticeable that elliptical sentences are used quite common in some contexrs as :

1.      In normal conversation
·           A : Ready? (Are you ready?)
B :Yes, I am. (Yes. I am ready.)

2.      In comparison
·            Tasya is more beautiful than Regine.
(Tasya is more beautiful than Regine is beautiful.)

3.       In sentences joined by coordinating conjunctions
·            I have sweeped and mopped floors.
(I have sweeped floors and I have mooped floors.)
·            I likes TVXQ, Vega Shinee, and Gingga S4.
(I likes TVXQ, Vega likes Shinee, and Gingga likes S4.)

4.       In some dependent clauses
·            If they clean the ballroom today, we will tomorrow.
(If they clean the ballroom today, we will clean the ballroom tomorrow.)

5.       In reduced clauses
·            The song sung by TVXQ was so popular.
(The song which was sung by TVXQ was so popular.)
·            Though a bit nervous, she presented the products to the doctor very well.
(Though she was a bit nervous, she presented the products to the doctor very well.)

6.       When used with “SO, TOO, EITHER, and NEITHER”
·            I am tall, and so do my brother.
(I am tall, and my brother is tall, too.)
·            My mom likes vegetables and my brother does too.
(My mom likes vegetables, and my brother likes vegetables, too.)
·            He didn’t say anything, and I didn’t either.
(He didn’t say anything, and I didn’t say anything, too.)
·            She doesn’t review the lessons, and neither her friend.
(She doesn’t review the lessons, and her friend didn’t review the lessons, too.)

source :
http://thewindlike.blogspot.com/2012/12/elliptical-sentence.html#.U4DV_Halugk








No comments: